Wednesday 2 January 2013

"I protested, you know!"

Protesting. Vociferously shooting off slogans. Lighting a candle. A black piece of cloth over your mouth. Carrying posters saying "Stop Rape!", "Save Women!", "Hang rapists!". Hurling a few bricks at the police and their vehicles. Strong words and loud voices in bites to the electronic media personnel.

Starting late December 2012, the above have been added to the list of the 'cool' things to do, especially by the youth. The things you can 'brag' to your friends after doing them. Known by skeptics as 'tokenism'. "You know, I went to so and so square, lit a candle before a framed white sheet of paper saying 'Nirbhaya', and I even cried!".. The other friends wonder, "Oh how amazing! What a soul!". 

Below are my questions to these 'cool' people. And trust me, the answers that I have mentioned- you will receive them nine out of ten times..

So you went to the protest march. Do you vote every five years?
-No.
Why not?
-Too tired to stand in queues.
Then what do you do with that blooming document named the Voter Identity Card?
-You know, it's easier to procure SIM cards for your phone with one of them.
And what do you do on the voting day?
-I hang out with my friends at the nearest shopping mall! It's a holiday, man!
Did you party on the New Year's Eve? 
-You think I wouldn't? All for a girl who died? Oh come on, I felt sad. But I lit the customary candle. I have shed the compulsory tear. My conscience is clean! What if I don't vote?

I protested, you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment